Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hello Baby Keigan!!

I am brand new at the blogging world but I am a new momma and want to be able to track baby Keigan's milestones so I figured this would be the perfect place!

Let us backtrack to when baby Keigan decided to make her grand entrance shall we.
August 15:
 Dave had a hockey game and it was way too hot for me to be sitting out in the heat ( being I was 37 weeks pregnant) so I stayed home and tried to relax. Dave called me on his way home from his game and asked if I had our baby yet and sadly, I hadn't. Dave then said that I could have her anytime now because we were both SO ready to meet her! Well I think she heard us because that night about 1am it all started...
August 16th:
 I got up to pee around 1am, crawled back in bed and felt like I was still peeing so I got back up, changed my underwear and tried to pee before laying back down. Well, this happened about 10 more times throughout the night. I finally woke Dave up around 3:30 and told him what was happening. He told me that we should just wait until morning to see if it kept happening and we could call the hospital to tell them what was going on. Of course I didn't take his suggestion and called my mom. Now, I knew she would freak out but I needed her advice!! She told me that her water broke slowly and that is what sounded like mine was doing and that I needed to get to the hospital. I finished packing all the little stuff (toothbrush, makeup, hair brush..) and off we went. I was freaking out and shaking the entire way to the hospital but was so hoping that we would get to meet our sweet girl that day!
When we showed up to labor and delivery, they had me change into a gown and the nurses came in to ask about a million questions and the whole time I wanted to scream "Just tell me if my water broke!!!!!!" Finally, a PA came in to check and she told me I was 2cm dilated and about 80% thinned out. She checked to see if my water broke and low and behold, IT WAS!! Holy shit, I was getting transferred over to my birthing room and would be having a baby today! Ahhhh! Dave was in charge of letting our families know it was go time! It was now 6am and they had called my Dr. To let her know what was going on and she told them to start me on pitocin. Dr. Came in at 7:30 to check on me and I was still 2cm and 80%. Bummer. At 8:30, they checked me again and this time I was 6-7 cm and 100% thinned out,  woah baby! Dr. Said that I should get the epidural soon because the anesthesiologist had a lot of c-sections to go to and if I don't get it now, there's a good chance that I wouldn't be able to get one because of how fast I was progressing. This is where I had my little meltdown. They told Dave he had to go stand in the hallway for 30 minutes while they put it in! I needed him there to hold my hand and they were sending him out of the room because it was hospital policy. I started balling and shaking but my sweet nurse came over and gave me a big hug and told me she would be there and it wouldn't hurt as bad as my IV did. Well, she was right but boy was it hard to stay still when someone is sticking a needle in your spine. By the time the epidural was in, it was now 9:30 and my nurse checked me and told me I would be having a baby by 10:30! What?! Really?! I was getting so excited/ nervous! At this point I couldn't feel anything besides a ton of pressure and I kept thinking I was going to have a BM (sorry if that made anyone sick, pregnancy is so classy ;) ) right on the bed! My mom went to get the nurse to tell her and she told me that is what I should be feeling and that it is just baby's head coming down causing that kind of pressure. Well, my dr. Came in around 10:10 and told me I was ready to go and we would start pushing on my next contraction. I kicked my mom out at this time because I had thought I wanted just Dave in there with me. Dr. Asked if I had someone to take pictures since Dave would be helping hold one of my legs. I asked if it was too late to go grab my mom so she could take pictures! Dave ran down to the waiting room, pointed to mom and told her to follow him. My grandma was getting off the elevator when they were running by and she asked what was going on, Dave replied with " we are going to pull out a baby!" Nice, huh?! Saying my mom was excited was an understatement! Well, we didn't waste anytime and I started pushing with my next contraction. I had 3 contractions and out was baby Keigan at 10:24am!!! I was completely amazed at how quick it all went down and was in shock how beautiful my baby was! The room was full of happy tears & then I hear someone hyperventilating  behind me and I turn around, it's my mom balling and saying that that was the most beautiful thing  she ever experienced! I'm so glad I brought her back in to be there!
After I delivered her and the placenta, the dr was trying to get me all put back together but I was
bleeding a good bit and couldn't find if there was a tear in my uterus so they wanted to take me to the OR where the lights were better to see if there was a tear. They wheeled me off to the operating room while Dave and my mom hugged and kissed baby Keigan (I was totally jealous). After they checked for a tear, my bleeding started to get under control and sent me back to my delivery room where I finally got to hold Keigan for a few short minutes. They had to take her to the nursery to get weighed, measured and bathed. I can't even tell you how tired I was after they took Keigan out of the room. My 
eyelids felt like they weighed 10lbs and it was so hard to keep them open but I had visitors so I tried to be a trooper and visit with them. Around 6 that evening is when I hit an emotional wall and just started crying with about 15 people in the room. I hadn't got to hold Keigan and as happy as I was that all of her family were there to see and love on her, I also wanted to love on her so I had a little meltdown and everyone left for the evening so that I could rest. Everyone tried to tell me to sleep but it is so hard to sleep in the hospital, especially when you have a brand new baby that you don't want to take your eyes off of!
After being in the hospital for 2 days, I was so ready to go home! I was so anxious to see how Sadie would be with Keigan!      

      How beautiful is she?! 

     Keigan Layne- 6.0 lbs 19 inches of absolute cuteness :)

 Daddy holding Keigan for the first time! 

All ready to go home! 

1 comment:

  1. I cried reading this and reliving that day!! I cannot thank Dave and Jocelyn for allowing me to be part of their day. It was without a doubt THE best experience I've ever had, it was incredibly emotional and truly a miracle to witness the birth of my granddaughter. To be able to see YOUR baby girl giving birth to HER baby girl is something I will never, ever forget!!! I fell instantly in love <3 She is truly the most beautiful baby and I'm not even being biased, it's simply the truth!!! Keigan is so lucky to have Jocelyn and Dave as parents!! She is blessed! I cannot tell you how proud I am of Joc and what a natural she is being a mom!!! It's a beautiful thing to see and I am so loving life these days!!! ALL is good!!