Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Babies First ER Visit

We had our first middle of the night scare Monday night. It was 2:30am and Dave woke me up asking what was wrong with Keigan. Before I even realized she was making a noise, she was in my arms and I was soothing her. She had a horrible barking cough and was struggling to catch her breath. I started to nurse her to calm her down while Dave got the diaper bag and carseat ready because we were going to the ER. I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep the rest of the night if we didn't go get her checked out. 

Once we got to the hospital, she was sleeping and breathing okay and we felt silly saying that she was having a hard time breathing. The doctor came in, listened to her lungs and said they sounded clear and sent us home. I know my daughter and I knew that her cough and the way she was acting was not normal for her. I followed up with her pediatrician in the morning and they wanted me to come in that evening to check up on her. 

I called my mom in the morning to let her know about our ER visit and the next thing I know, she was pulling into the driveway. She left work early because she wanted to see her for herself. She hung out all day with us and was going with me to her doctor appointment. I don't know what I'd do without her! She is THE best mom and grandma ;) 

She had random coughing spells throughout the day, seemed to be sleepier than normal and didn't have much of an appetite. All day, I kept thinking what I did or who I had her around to have caught something. I googled all day trying to figure out what was wrong. I started over analyzing everything she did and every sound she made. 

At her appointment, the doctor listened to her lungs and told us instantly that she had croup. It sounds weird but I was so glad to hear that. I wasn't leaving that hospital until they told me what was wrong. He said there isn't much you can do for croup, but he prescribed her a steroid and said to get a cool-mist humidifier to help with the swelling of her vocal cords. He said we could give her Tylenol to soothe her throat and that would help with her appetite. So as soon as we left the hospital, I ran to the pharmacy to pick up her medicine, Tylenol and a humidifier. Dave and I gave her the medicine, (which she took like a champ considering she's only had milk!) a warm bath, fed her and put her to bed. 

She has been sleeping 10+ hours straight for the past few months but she woke up at 2, 4, 6 and woke up for the day at 9. I didn't sleep good anyway because I wanted to make sure I heard her if anything happened. Having a sick babe is heart breaking and exhausting. I can't wait for her to be back to her normal, playful self! 


No comments:

Post a Comment